Friday, January 4, 2013

State Budget Hearing - 1.4.13 - Medicaid Waiver


Here's the speech I gave:

It's a pleasure to be here today. My name is Ivy. I've been using the Medicaid Consumer Directed Waiver for over a decade to live in the community. Medicaid pays my Personal Care Assistants. The Waiver assists me to give back to my community by volunteering, going to school, and getting a job. I make a positive difference in my community thanks to my PCA.

For a true blue inclusive community, to see people with disabilities living independently and to see more of those individuals in the workplace, personal care assistants need to be paid more and given quality health benefits. This will secure PCAs as a serious career field and increase the quality of care, which will eliminate a huge barrier to me and many others.

Please add 7,500 Waivers slots to help the those on the wait list. People with disabilities should not have to wait to have a Personal Care Assistant. PCAs are essential to countless people with disabilities living in the community. Families that want their loved ones at home, they need support in the way of 400 ID Waivers and 200 DD Waivers. By supporting this, you will be enabling Virginia to complying with the Olmstead Decision of 1999, which states people with disabilities have the right to live in their community.

With the state wide closure of institutions you must require budget transparency and use the money saved by the closings to help families on the Waiver waiting list. Restructure the Waiver to promote smaller group homes which would allow for inclusive communities. Smaller group homes would be also safer for people with disabilities, because a smaller operation would squeeze out corruption, abuse and murder.

This state is currently ranked 45th in the country for its community-based residential services for people with disabilities. I hope you act now to make Virginia a state we all can be proud of. I urge you, Virginia policy creators, to take this historic opportunity to reform community-based services for people with disabilities! 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment